The announcement from Sheba Medical Hospital that the fourth shot of BioNTech SE's (BNTX:NASDAQ) COMIRNATY vaccine against the coronavirus is only minimally effective, highlights that a new vaccine targeting the Omicron variant of COVID-19 is becoming increasingly needed. BioNTech is working on such a vaccine, aiming to deliver it by March of this year.
Looking forward, there could be as many as three rounds of booster shots over the next two years, Burns noted, depending on how prevalent the virus is and how long effectiveness of current vaccines lasts.
The future vaccine market, according to Sanofi CEO Paul Hudson, will be dominated by the vaccine developing incumbents, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer and Merck. However, Burns noted that H.C. Wainwright & Co. remains confident in BioNTech's market position, "particularly given its relationship with Pfizer and applicability of its technology to development of vaccines for diseases beyond COVID-19, notably influenza."
Also, though, Burns pointed out, the overall demand for COVID-19 vaccines will likely drop if the virus becomes endemic.
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
Disclosures for H.C. Wainwright & Co., BioNTech SE, Jan. 19, 2022
I, Robert Burns and Raghuram Selvaraju, Ph.D. , certify that 1) all of the views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about any and all subject securities or issuers discussed; and 2) no part of my compensation was, is, or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendation or views expressed in this research report; and 3) neither myself nor any members of my household is an officer, director or advisory board member of these companies.
A research analyst of the firm and/or the research analyst’s household has a financial interest in and own the securities of BioNTech SE (including, without limitation, any option, right, warrant, future, long or short position). As of December 31, 2021 neither the Firm nor its affiliates beneficially own 1% or more of any class of common equity securities of BioNTech SE.
Neither the research analyst nor the Firm knows or has reason to know of any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of this research report.
The research analyst principally responsible for preparation of the report does not receive compensation that is based upon any specific investment banking services or transaction but is compensated based on factors including total revenue and profitability of the Firm, a substantial portion of which is derived from investment banking services.
The Firm or its affiliates did not receive compensation from BioNTech SE for investment banking services within twelve months before, but will seek compensation from the companies mentioned in this report for investment banking services within three months following publication of the research report.
The Firm does not make a market in BioNTech SE as of the date of this research report.