Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced in a news release that "NP-120 (Ifenprodil) reduced interleukin 6 (IL-6) with statistical significance in its recent Ifenprodil Phase 2b/3 COVID-19 trial, which may be informative for the company's ongoing Phase 2 trial of Ifenprodil for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and chronic cough."
The firm advised that one of the key biomarkers measured and analyzed in its COVID-19 trial was the change in IL-6 levels. The company stated that results in the study showed that "from baseline to day five, IL-6 was reduced in the 20 mg treatment arm by 267 ng/L, versus 7 ng/L in the standard of care arm."
Algernon Pharmaceuticals explained that "IL-6 acts as both a pro-inflammatory cytokine and an anti-inflammatory myokine and is encoded by the IL-6 gene." The firm noted that IL-6 is known to sometimes promote fibrosis and cause chronic inflammation and is frequently elevated in IPF patients.
Based upon the significant findings in the COVID trial, the company now believes that the positive effects of Ifenprodil on IL-6 may could perhaps prove to be beneficial as a potential therapeutic treatment for IPF.
Algernon mentioned in a recent news release that it has met 50% of its target enrollment for its Phase 2 Ifenprodil trial for use in IPF and chronic cough. The company indicated that it will be closely monitoring changes in IL-6 in the study in addition to other relevant markers of fibrosis including C-reactive protein and collagen pro-peptides.
The company stated that at present it is not making any claims, either express or implied, that Ifenprodil possesses the capability of containing, curing or eliminating SARS-CoV-2, which is commonly referred to as COVID-19 or the coronavirus.
Algernon Pharmaceuticals is a drug re-purposing company that specializes in finding new applications for already approved drugs and other natural compounds. The firm may create new formulations and conduct human clinical trials as needed to secure new or expanded use regulatory approvals in global markets. The company advised that to avoid off label prescription writing, it selects compounds for exploration and experimentation that have never been previously approved in either Europe or the United States.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.