In a Nov. 19 research note, ROTH Capital Partners analyst Elemer Piros reported that Apellis Pharmaceuticals Inc. (APLS:NASDAQ) and collaborator Swedish Orphan Biovitrum dosed the first patient "in a potentially pivotal amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) trial" and did so within a month of announcing the study.
Piros briefly described the trial. It will evaluate the safety and efficacy of pegcetacoplan versus placebo, randomized on a 2:1 basis, in 200 patients treated over 52 weeks. The primary endpoint is change in scores on the combined assessment of function and survival. Secondary endpoints include changes in lung function, muscle strength and quality of life.
The analyst highlighted that about 225,000 people in the world have ALS, "a relatively large orphan condition."
In other news, Piros relayed, Apellis recently received a PDUFA date of May 14, 2021 from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for its new drug application in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria.
ROTH has a Buy rating and a $50 per share price target on Apellis Pharmaceuticals, the stock of which is trading now at about $47.40 per share.[NLINSERT]
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.
Disclosures from ROTH Capital Partners, Apellis Pharmaceuticals Inc., Flash Note, November 19, 2020
Regulation Analyst Certification ("Reg AC"): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.
ROTH makes a market in shares of Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and as such, buys and sells from customers on a principal basis.
ROTH Capital Partners, LLC expects to receive or intends to seek compensation for investment banking or other business relationships with the covered companies mentioned in this report in the next three months.