Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced in a news release that after an interim review, the external Data and Safety Monitoring Board approved the continuation of the biopharma's multinational Phase 2b/3 human study of NP-120, or Ifenprodil, as a COVID-19 treatment.
"Clinical studies are focused on the issues of safety and efficacy," Algernon CEO Christopher J. Moreau said in the release. "We are very confident of Ifenprodil's safety, and we look forward to discovering its efficacy in this very important COVID-19 trial."
Currently, the trial is in progress as a Phase 2b involving 150 patients. They are being randomized on a 1:1 basis to receive, for two weeks, either existing standard of care or standard of care plus Ifenprodil.
The latter group consists of two cohorts. One is receiving 60 milligrams (60 mg), taken in a 20 mg tablet three times a day. The other is receiving Ifenprodil 120 mg, taken as two 20 mg tablets three times a day.
"Over the testing period, doctors will observe whether there is an improvement in a number of secondary endpoints, including mortality, blood oxygen levels, time spent in intensive care and time to mechanical ventilation," the company stated.
If the results of the Phase 2b are positive, the study will automatically move into Phase 3. The number of participants needed for statistical significance will be determined at that time, based on the new data.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.