Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced in a news release that 25% enrollment has been achieved for the Phase 2 clinical trial of the repurposed drug NP-120, Ifenprodil, as a treatment for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IFP) and chronic cough.
"IPF and chronic cough are very serious conditions. . .and our team is working hard to make sure our clinical program of investigating Ifenprodil as a possible treatment continues to move forward on schedule," CEO Christopher Moreau said in the release.
Five sites, three in Australia and two in New Zealand, are participating in this open-label, 20-patient, proof-of-concept study.
The purpose of this clinical trial is to determine the extent of efficacy of Ifenprodil in preserving lung function in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and associated cough.
"Ifenprodil has been shown to mediate anti-inflammatory responses and reduce pulmonary fibrosis in a murine model of (IPF). In addition, Ifenprodil significantly reduced both cough frequency and onset in a guinea pig acute cough model," the company stated.
The Vancouver-based biopharmaceutical firm also has a COVID-19 trial underway, in which Ifenprodil is being assessed as a possible therapeutic.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.