Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced in a news release it began screening patients for potential enrollment in its Phase 2 clinical trial evaluating NP-120, or Ifenprodil, in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and chronic cough, areas of significant unmet need.
"This is a very appropriate time to remind our shareholders that Ifenprodil was initially selected for advancement into a human clinical trial based on its strong animal data for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and chronic cough," Algernon CEO Christopher Moreau said in the release.
The five sites that will participate in the study, three in Australia and two in New Zealand, completed initiation after receiving appropriate ethics approval.
This Phase 2 trial comes after animal studies in both indications showed Ifenprodil to yield better results than similar therapies.
Regarding idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, one study showed that treatment with ifenprodil reduced fibrosis by 56% versus untreated controls (p=0.015), outperforming Pirfenidone and Nintedanib, two approved drugs.
In an acute cough study, Ifenprodil outperformed Merck's Phase 3 drug MK-7264, or Gefapixant, by 110%.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.