Arcadia Biosciences Inc. (RKDA:NASDAQ), which employs science-based approaches to enhancing the quality and nutritional value of crops and food ingredients, today announced in a letter to shareholders that "the company has secured in excess of $3 million in initial seed purchase commitments in just 50 days post launch of its newest product line: GoodHemp."
The company explained that GoodHemp is the firm's new commercial brand for delivering genetically superior hemp seeds, transplants, flower and extracts. The GoodHemp line's first commercial product, which Arcadia showcased at the American Seed Trade Association CSS & Seed Expo in Chicago in early December 2019, is a "disease resistant, USDA-compliant ultra-low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) hemp seed."
The company's Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) Sarah Reiter commented, "Our new GoodHemp seed catalog has been met with enthusiasm from growers seeking compliant, reliable hemp seeds...Since our launch last month, we've received a significant number of inquiries, reflecting a strong market demand for quality genetics from a reputable seed provider. We can already see that Arcadia's 15+ years of proven results in crop improvement is highly valued by growers...We are fielding strong interest in our seeds and expect purchase commitments to continue over the next few months as farmers focus on securing quality genetics for their upcoming spring plantings."
The firm noted that revenues from these purchase commitments will be recognized upon delivery of seeds to the growers, which is anticipated to occur between Q2/20 and Q4/20. The company stated that these initial sales and future additional commitments will contribute meaningfully to the greater than $10 million total revenues previously forecasted for FY/20.
The company indicated that "GoodHemp's 2020 offering has expanded from the five new seed varieties previously announced during the GoodHemp launch. The company now offers ten varieties primarily focused on compliant cannabidiol (CBD) production, one of the biggest challenges facing U.S. growers in light of the USDA's new guidelines mandating that states test and dispose of "hot" crops that exceed 0.3 percent THC."
CCO Reiter added, "We work closely with our community of U.S. farmers to understand the very specific challenges of growing hemp in different geographies, climates and regulatory environments in order to develop and deliver solutions that support crop productivity and profitability...Our USDA-compliant Complia Bot+ seed variety is just the beginning of what we expect will be a robust and innovative seed portfolio designed to modernize the commercial hemp germplasm market."
Arcadia is headquartered in Davis, Calif., and states that it innovates crops to provide high-value, healthy food ingredients to help meet consumer demand for a healthier diet. The firm has developed a portfolio of agronomic traits that it states enables farmers around the world to be more productive amidst challenging economic conditions and minimize the impact of agriculture on the environment. In addition to GoodHemp, the company markets a line of GoodWheat™ branded ingredients.
Arcadia Biosciences started the day with a market capitalization of around $41.9 million with approximately 8.65 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 8.6%. RKDA shares opened relatively unchanged today at $4.86 (+$0.01, +0.21%) over yesterday's $4.85 closing price. The stock has since traded higher between $4.86 and $6.48 per share today and at present is trading at $5.62 (+$0.77, +15.88%).[NLINSERT]
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.