In a Dec. 6 research note, CIBC analyst Jamie Kubik wrote that Paramount Resources Ltd.'s (POU:TSX) disposing of 8,500 barrels of oil equivalent per day (8,500 boe/d) of production will not materially impact the energy company's cash flow in the future. "We view the move favorably," he added.
Paramount sold the assets for a total value of CA$55 million. Metrics of the transaction were "modest," Kubik noted, at 320,000 net acres of mineral rights (CA$172 per acre), 8,500 boe/d production (CA$6,470/boe/d), 15.9 MMboe of Proven reserves (CA$3.46/boe) and 20.1 MMboe of Proven and Probable reserves (CA$2.74 per barrel).
In addition, Paramount's capital plans for the assets were "minimal," Kubik pointed out. Thus, CIBC lowered its estimated 2020 capital spend for the company to CA$550 million from CA$600 million. "With the disposition, Paramount will have less maintenance capital required for assets outside of its Montney acreage moving forward, and management has also pointed to cost savings in its recent drilling efforts," noted Kubik.
Paramount has focused primarily on developing its Montney assets, Karr and Wapiti. Going forward, "further refinement of the portfolio is likely to be viewed favorably, helping enhance the financial and operational torque to the company's flagship properties," Kubik commented.
As for spending in 2020, CIBC expends it to be high to ramp up production at Karr and Wapiti and models the amount at about CA$150 million, Kubik wrote. Proceeds from the asset sale and from the flowthrough financing of CA$37.6 million "provide some added financial cushion" for Paramount as it heads into the new year.
CIBC has a Neutral rating and a CA$7.50 per share target price on Paramount, whose current stock price is about CA$6.63 per share.[NLINSERT]
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
Disclosures from CIBC, Paramount Resources Ltd., Earnings Update, December 6, 2019
Each CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. research analyst named on the front page of this research report, or at the beginning of any subsection hereof, hereby certifies that (i) the recommendations and opinions expressed herein accurately reflect such research analyst's personal views about the company and securities that are the subject of this report and all other companies and securities mentioned in this report that are covered by such research analyst and (ii) no part of the research analyst's compensation was, is, or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed by such research analyst in this report.
Potential Conflicts of Interest:
Equity research analysts employed by CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. are compensated from revenues generated by various CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. businesses, including the CIBC World Markets Investment Banking Department. Research analysts do not receive compensation based upon revenues from specific investment banking transactions. CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. generally prohibits any research analyst and any member of his or her household from executing trades in the securities of a company that such research analyst covers. Additionally, CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. generally prohibits any research analyst from serving as an officer, director or advisory board member of a company that such analyst covers.
In addition to 1% ownership positions in covered companies that are required to be specifically disclosed in this report, CIBC World Markets Corp./Inc. may have a long position of less than 1% or a short position or deal as principal in the securities discussed herein, related securities or in options, futures or other derivative instruments based thereon.
Recipients of this report are advised that any or all of the foregoing arrangements, as well as more specific disclosures set forth below, may at times give rise to potential conflicts of interest.
CIBC World Markets Inc. does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. As a result, investors should be aware that CIBC World Markets Inc. may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report. Investors should consider this report as only a single factor in making their investment decision.
Important Disclosure Footnotes for Paramount Resources Ltd. (POU.TO)
• 2g CIBC World Markets Inc. expects to receive or intends to seek compensation for investment banking services from these companies in the next 3 months: Paramount Resources Ltd.
For important disclosure footnotes for companies mentioned in this report that are covered by CIBC World Markets Inc., click here: Disclaimers & Disclosures.