announced topline results from the Phase 3 GUARD trial of its drug candidate, ADX-2191, in proliferative vitreoretinopathy, and they were "encouraging," reported Laidlaw & Co. analyst Dr. Yale Jen in an October 6, 2022 research note.
"We view Aldeyra shares as underexposed and undervalued," wrote Jen.
"We view the news very positively as it is a former confirmation of ADX-2191's effect in treating proliferative vitreoretinopathy," Jen wrote.
Considering the news, Laidlaw reiterated its Buy rating and US$30 per share target price on Aldeyra, the current share price of which is about US$5.58. The gap between the two prices implies a significant potential return for investors.
"We view Aldeyra shares as underexposed and undervalued," wrote Jen.
Recap of Results
As for the GUARD Part 1 trial results, the analyst highlighted that they suggest ADX-2191 treatment could be safer and more effective in treating proliferative vitreoretinopathy than compounded methotrexate.
Specifically, in the Phase 3 study, Jen relayed that in the group randomized to ADX-2191, the primary endpoint was met of prevention of retinal detachment over six months (23.5%) with p=0.024, compared to historical control (38.7%). In the group randomized to routine surgical care, retinal detachment over six months was about 29%.
ADX-2191 also showed numerical superiority over routine surgical care in multiple secondary or exploratory endpoints, including visual acuity and central macular subfield thickness. The p-value for dichotomous endpoints, like epiretinal membrane appearance, was 0.047.
In terms of safety, Jen noted ADX-2101 was well tolerated. The most common adverse effect was mild to moderate punctate keratitis, experienced in 16% of patients. This incidence is much less than the 58% previously reported in compounded methotrexate studies.
What to Watch For
Next for Aldeyra and ADX-2191 is a Type C meeting with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in H1/23 to discuss the regulatory path for the use of this drug for proliferative vitreoretinopathy.
In the meantime, however, in Q4/22, the biopharma will meet with the FDA prior to filing a new drug application (NDA) for the same drug candidate for primary vitreoretinal lymphoma.
"A positive [pre-NDA] meeting should lead to an NDA submission soon," Jen wrote.
Also, in Q4/22, Aldeyra expects to file an NDA for reproxalap in dry eye disease.
|Want to be the first to know about interesting Biotechnology / Pharmaceuticals investment ideas? Sign up to receive the FREE Streetwise Reports' newsletter.||Subscribe|
1) Doresa Banning wrote this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with: None Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities ofcompanies mentioned in this article.
Disclosures For Laidlaw & Company, Aldeyra TherapeuticsOctober 6, 2022
Analyst Certification: The analyst responsible for the content of this report hereby certifies that the views expressed regarding the company or companies and their securities accurately represent his personal views and that no direct or indirect compensation is to be received by the analyst for any specific recommendation or views contained in this report. Neither the author of this report nor any member of his immediate family or household maintains a position in the securities mentioned in this report.
Equity Disclosures: For the purpose of ratings distributions, regulatory rules require the firm to assign ratings to one of three rating categories (i.e. Strong Buy/Buy-Overweight, Hold, or Underweight/Sell) regardless of a firm's own rating categories. Although the firm’s ratings of Buy/Overweight, Hold, or Underweight/Sell most closely correspond to Buy, Hold and Sell, respectively, the meanings are not the same because our ratings are determined on a relative basis against the analyst sector universe of stocks.
An analyst's coverage sector is comprised of companies that are engaged in similar business or share similar operating characteristics as the subject company. The analysis sector universe is a sub-sector to the analyst's coverage sector, and is compiled to assist the analyst in determining relative valuations of subject companies. The composition of an analyst's sector universe is subject to change over time as various factors, including changing market conditions occur. Accordingly, the rating assigned to a particular stock represents solely the analyst's view of how that stock will perform over the next 12-months relative to the analyst's sector universe.
Additional Disclosures: As of the date of this report, neither the author of this report nor any member of his immediate family or household maintains an ownership position in the securities of the company (ies) mentioned in this report. This report does not provide individually tailored investment advice and has been prepared without regard to the individual financial circumstances and objectives of persons who receive it. Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd. recommends that investors independently evaluate particular investments and strategies, and encourages investors to seek the advice of a financial adviser. The appropriateness of a particular investment or strategy will depend on an investor's individual circumstances and objectives.
The securities, instruments, or strategies discussed in this report may not be suitable for all investors, and certain investors may not be eligible to purchase or participate in some or all of them. This report is not an offer to buy or sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security/instrument or to participate in any particular trading strategy.
Associated persons of Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd not involved in the preparation of this report may have investments in securities/instruments or derivatives of securities/instruments of companies mentioned herein and may trade them in ways different from those discussed in this report. While Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd., prohibits analysts from receiving any compensation. Bonus or incentive based on specific recommendations for, or view of, a particular company, investors should be aware that any or all of the foregoing, among other things, may give rise to real or potential conflicts of interest.
With the exception of information regarding Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd. this report is based on public information. Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd makes every effort to use reliable, comprehensive information, but we make no representation that it is accurate or complete and it should not be relied upon as such. Any opinions expressed are subject to change and Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd disclaims any obligation to advise you of changes in opinions or information or any discontinuation of coverage of a subject company. Facts and views presented in this report have not been reviewed by, and may not reflect information known to, professionals in other Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd business areas. Laidlaw & Co (UK), Ltd associated persons conduct site visits from time to time but are prohibited from accepting payment or reimbursement by the company of travel expenses for such visits. The value of and income from your investments may vary because of changes in interest rates, foreign exchange rates, default rates, prepayment rates, securities/instruments prices. market indexes, operational or financial conditions of companies or other factors.
There may be time limitations on the exercise of options or other rights in securities/instruments transactions. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance. Estimates of future performance are based on assumptions that may not be realized. If provided, and unless otherwise stated, the closing price on the cover page is that of the primary exchange for the subject company's securities/instruments.
Any trademarks and service marks contained in this report are the property of their respective owners. Third-party data providers make no warranties or representations of any kind relating to the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the data they provide and shall not have liability for any damages of any kind relating to such data.