Collaborative healthcare platform company Vocera Communications Inc. (VCRA:NYE), which offers digital care coordination and communication solutions that enable medical services providers to deliver the best patient care possible, today announced that it entered into a definitive merger agreement to be acquired by Stryker Corporation (SYK:NYSE) for $79.25 per share in cash for a total equity value of approximately $2.97 billion.
Under the terms of the agreement, Stryker will acquire 100% of Vocera's issued and outstanding common shares resulting in a total enterprise value for Vocera of around $3.09 billion.
Vocera Communications is a leading digital care coordination and communication platform operator that has continued to develop and expand tools that serve to reduce cognitive overload for caregivers, which has allowed them to offer patients humanized medical care throughout the pandemic.
Stryker Medical division is expected to benefit greatly from Vocera's complementary portfolio that helps hospitals connect with caregivers and remote data-generating medical devices improving efficiency, safety, and patient outcomes and preventing adverse events.
Stryker's Chair and CEO Kevin Lobo commented, "This acquisition underscores our commitment and focus on our customer. … Vocera will help Stryker significantly accelerate our digital aspirations to improve the lives of caregivers and patients."
Vocera Communications' Chairman and CEO Brent Lang added, "Today's milestone represents an exciting opportunity for Vocera given the clear alignment of mission, goals, and culture between our two organizations and our ability to drive even greater economic and clinical value for our customers."
"This acquisition underscores our commitment and focus on our customer. … Vocera will help Stryker significantly accelerate our digital aspirations to improve the lives of caregivers and patients."
—Stryker Chair and CEO Kevin Lobo
The report indicated that both companies' respective Board of Directors have already unanimously approved the transaction. The acquisition is expected to close in Q1/22, subject to shareholder approval, ordinary closing conditions and regulatory waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act.
With a market capitalization of over $103 billion, Stryker, which is headquartered in Kalamazoo, Mich., is one of the world's largest medical technology companies. The company designs medical products in numerous categories including surgical, neurotechnology, and spine and orthopedics.
Vocera Communications is a leading communication and workflow optimization platform provider based in San Jose, Calif. The firm's platform connects healthcare professionals, patients, and families with the goal of increasing operational efficiency, enhancing care and safety, and greater humanizing of the healthcare experience. The company's solutions platform is used by over 2,300 facilities worldwide, including about 1,900 hospitals and other healthcare operations. Mobile workers can use either a smartphone or a wearable hands-free communication device to easily connect with coworkers or to access electronic monitoring devices and health records across the network.
Vocera started off the day with a market cap of around $2.2 billion with approximately 34.8 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 10.6%. VCRA shares opened more than 26% higher today at $79.07 (+$16.55, +26.47%) over yesterday's $62.52 closing price and reached a new 52-week high price this morning of $79.43. The stock has traded today between $79.00 and $79.43 per share and is currently trading at $79.16 (+$16.6, +26.62%).
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.