Integrated specialty pharmaceutical company ANI Pharmaceuticals (ANIP:NASDAQ), a developer, manufacturer and marketer of branded and generic prescription medicines, today announced that "the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the company's supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) for Purified Cortrophin™ Gel (Repository Corticotropin Injection USP) (Cortrophin Gel) for the treatment of certain chronic autoimmune disorders, including acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis (MS) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA), in addition to excess urinary protein due to nephrotic syndrome."
The company explained that Cortrophin Gel is an adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) that serves as an important treatment option for individuals diagnosed with several chronic autoimmune disorders.
ANI Pharmaceuticals' President and CEO Nikhil Lalwani commented, "The FDA's approval of Cortrophin Gel enables us to bring a much-needed treatment choice to patients with acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis as well as nephrotic syndrome, who are coping with a devastating disease on a daily basis…We anticipate a full-scale commercial launch by early in the first quarter of 2022."
The company's Chief Medical Officer Mary Pao Seideman, M.D., Ph.D., remarked, "Patients who are refractory or intolerant to corticosteroids have an especially urgent need for effective alternatives and are at risk of ongoing organ damage with long-term disease…For over 30 years, there has only been one available treatment in the ACTH category. With the FDA approval of Cortrophin Gel, patients will now have a significant new treatment option."
The firm noted that Cortrophin Gel was first approved in 1954 for use in treating chronic autoimmune conditions. The company stated that in 2016 that it acquired the NDA for Cortrophin Gel from Merck & Co. Inc. (MRK:NYSE) and advised that it has spent the last five years revamping the manufacturing processes with the objective of establishing a reliable U.S.-based supply chain for the product.
The medicine has now been approved by the FDA for several indications via injected subcutaneous or intramuscular delivery as an adjunctive therapy for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and acute gouty arthritis. It also is now available as a maintenance therapy in select cases of systemic lupus erythematosus and systemic dermatomyositis (polymyositis), severe erythema multiforme (Stevens-Johnson syndrome) and severe psoriasis.
There are also numerous other prescribed uses for atopic dermatitis, symptomatic sarcoidosis and severe acute and chronic allergic and inflammatory conditions affecting the eyes such as allergic conjunctivitis, keratitis, diffuse posterior uveitis and choroiditis and many other approved applications.
ANI Pharmaceuticals is a diversified bio-pharmaceutical company based in Baudette, Minn. The firm is focused on developing, manufacturing and marketing specialty branded and generic medicines for diseases with high unmet medical needs.
ANI Pharmaceuticals Inc. began the day with a market cap of around $477.0 million with approximately 12.76 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 3.7%. ANIP shares opened more than 13% higher today at $42.46 (+$5.08, +13.59%) over Friday's $37.38 closing price and reached a new 52-week high price this morning of $60.2267. The stock has traded today between $42.11 and $60.2267 per share and is currently trading at $56.14 (+$18.79, +50.19%).
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.