Product-focused biotechnology company Entera Bio Ltd. (ENTX:NASDAQ), which concentrates its work on developing orally delivered large molecule therapeutics, today announced that "the European Patent Office has granted a patent titled "Methods and Compositions for Oral Administration of Proteins" to Entera."
The firm indicated that the patent pertains to its oral parathyroid hormone (PTH) formulations for treatment of osteoporosis and hypoparathyroidism, which are currently being evaluated in advanced clinical studies.
Entera Bio's CEO Spiros Jamas commented, "This is a critical patent that covers lead PTH products utilizing Entera's platform technology. This European Union patent, along with a variety of other patents covering oral formulations and target indications, granted and pending, provide Entera with robust protection of its intellectual property. This granted patent comes in addition to numerous issued patents in strategic countries including the U.S., China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Israel."
"We are particularly pleased to have successfully completed the nine-month time window in which the patent could have been opposed. Entera has fortified its leadership position in the oral delivery of proteins as we look forward to reporting the full 6-month BMD results from our Phase 2 study as planned in Q2/21 and potentially initiating a pivotal Phase 3 study with our oral PTH for the treatment of osteoporosis next year," Jamas added.
Entera Bio is a product-focused biotechnology company headquartered in Jerusalem that specializes in the "development of orally delivered large molecule therapeutics for use in areas with significant unmet medical need where adoption of injectable therapies is limited due to cost, convenience and compliance challenges for patients." The company stated it believes that "its oral delivery technology has potential to transform $20 billion injectable biologics market." Entera explained that "its proprietary, oral drug delivery technology is designed to address the technical challenges of poor absorption, high variability and the inability to deliver large molecules to the targeted location in the body through the use of a synthetic absorption enhancer to facilitate the absorption of large molecules and protease inhibitors to prevent enzymatic degradation and support delivery to targeted tissues."
The company has two product candidates that presently are being evaluated in separate phase 2 trials. The first candidate is EB613 for use in treating osteoporosis and the second is EB612, which is formulated to combat hypoparathyroidism. The company also noted that it licenses its technology to other biopharma firms and that it established one such collaboration with Amgen Inc.
Entera Bio began the day with a market cap of around $98.9 million with approximately 23.78 million shares outstanding. ENTX shares opened almost 4% higher today at $4.32 (+$0.16, +3.85%) over yesterday's $4.16 closing price. The stock traded today between $4.29 and $5.27 per share and closed for trading at $5.19 (+$1.03 +24.76%).[NLINSERT]
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.