Mental health company Novamind Inc. (NM:CSE) announced in a news release that its "wholly-owned subsidiary, Cedar Clinical Research (CCR) has been selected as a key research site for a clinical trial focused on treatment-resistant depression by Merck & Co. Inc. (MRK:NYSE), a world-leading pharmaceutical company."
Novamind advised that the Phase 2a study is designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a new drug that is being developed and advanced by Merck to counter treatment-resistant depression (TRD). The firm explained that TRD occurs in about 30% of those who are suffering from major depressive disorder.
The company listed that study is commencing participant enrollment this month and is named "A Phase 2a, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of MK-1942 Added to Stable Antidepressant Therapy in Participants With Treatment-Resistant Depression."
Dr. Reid Robison, chief medical officer of Novamind and principal investigator at CCR, remarked, "We're proud to partner with Merck and support its innovative neuroscience work to develop a potential new drug for treatment-resistant depression...CCR has unique expertise conducting clinical trials and research studies in neuropsychiatry, for a variety of sponsors. This exciting research opportunity with Merck exemplifies a growing pipeline of opportunities for us to provide contract research services to leading drug developers."
The firm noted that CCR is a contract research organization that has extensive experience hosting all phases of clinical trials including numerous neuropsychiatry studies centered around the investigation of psychedelic medicines and emerging therapies. CCR is fully proficient in providing turn-key services to pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions and non-profit groups at its clinical sites in the areas of trial design, patient recruitment and patient management for drug development.
Novamind's CEO and Director Yaron Conforti stated, "Under Dr. Robison's leadership, Cedar Clinical Research has proven itself as a best-in-class research site for emerging mental health therapeutics. We’re excited to work with Merck, a world-class pharmaceutical company, to advance research for innovative mental health treatments."
The company stated that CCR is presently under contract with several sponsors on seven separate clinical trials. Some of the firm's current and past clinical trials have focused in the area of psychedelic medicine including a Phase 2 study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for eating disorders, a ketamine-assisted psychotherapy study for end-of-life palliative care and a ketamine study to treat suicidal ideation.[NLINSERT]
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Novamind. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Novamind, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.