Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced in a news release that "it has decided to review its protocol for its phase 2b/3 study of Ifenprodil for COVID-19, to consider adding lung scarring as an additional endpoint if sufficient data is available from a significant number of patients."
The company stated that when it initially prepared the original phase 2b/3 protocol in April of 2020, it did not include lung scarring subsequent to hospitalization as a key primary endpoint because at that time the issue had not yet been identified as a major, frequently experienced problem in recovering COVID-19 patients.
The firm advised that while most hospitals' standard of care calls for a chest X-ray to be performed upon admission of a COVID-19 patient, not all will take an X-ray prior to discharging a patient because they rely on other clinical markers as part of their site-specific standard of care methods.
Algernon Pharmaceuticals' CEO Christopher J. Moreau remarked, "If we determine that X-rays were taken on release of a meaningful number of our treated patients, and Ifenprodil is showing a reduction in the amount of scarring post infection, this would be an extremely important discovery for us...If this is confirmed in the planned Phase 3 portion of the study, it would mean that Ifenprodil could be used to treat patients who have survived COVID-19 but are suffering from lung damage."
The company stated that according to results published by Oxford University scientists in October 2020 from the recent C-MORE Study, on MRI, tissue signal abnormalities such as scarring and inflammation were seen in the lungs of 60% of the COVID-19 patients three months after clearing the virus.
Algernon Pharmaceuticals indicated that at this time it is not making claims of any kind regarding the ability of Ifenprodil to contain, cure or eliminate SARS-CoV-2, which is commonly referred to as COVID-19 or the coronavirus.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the decision to publish an article until three business days after the publication of the article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.