Stemline Therapeutics Inc. (STML:NASDAQ), which is focused on developing and commercializing novel oncology therapeutics, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by private Italian pharmaceutical and diagnostics company Menarini Group in a transaction valued up to $677 million.
The companies advised that the transaction has already been unanimously approved by both companies' Boards of Directors and that the transaction is expected to close in Q2/20 subject to customary closing conditions, regulatory approvals and a tender of at least 50% of the outstanding Stemline shares by shareholders. Menarini stated that it plans to fund the purchase by using existing cash resources.
The firms outlined that purchase details and advised that "under the terms of the agreement, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Menarini Group will commence a tender offer for all outstanding shares of Stemline, whereby Stemline shareholders will be offered a total potential consideration of $12.50 per share, consisting of an upfront payment of $11.50 in cash and one non-tradeable Contingent Value Right (CVR) that will entitle each holder to an additional $1.00 in cash per share upon completion of the first sale of ELZONRIS in any EU5 country after European Commission approval."
The report explained that ELZONRIS is a novel targeted therapy directed to the interleukin-3 (IL-3) receptor-α (CD123) and was developed by Stemline for treatment of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm (BPDCN) in adult and pediatric patients. The firm stated that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved that drug in the U.S. in December 2018. A marketing authorization application (MAA) has already been submitted and is presently under review by the European Medicines Agency. Post acquisition, Menarini expects to obtain approvals and expand distribution of ELZONRIS to Europe and emerging markets.
Stemline Therapeutics' Chairman, CEO and Founder Ivan Bergstein, M.D., commented, "Joining Menarini represents a unique opportunity for Stemline to advance the commercialization of ELZONRIS across the globe and to accelerate the development of our pipeline of oncology assets. ...We are excited to be combining with a like-minded organization in Menarini, in a transaction that will deliver immediate and significant cash value to our shareholders, while also allowing our shareholders to participate in the future upside of ELZONRIS's European launch."
Elcin Barker Ergun, CEO of Menarini Group, remarked, "Stemline is an excellent fit for Menarini, enabling us to expand our presence in the U.S. with an established biopharmaceutical company focused on developing oncology therapeutics. Through this acquisition, we will continue to strengthen our portfolio and pipeline of oncology assets and deliver novel therapies around the world."
The company described BPDCN, formerly blastic NK-cell lymphoma, as "an aggressive hematologic malignancy, often with cutaneous manifestations, with historically poor outcomes which typically presents in the bone marrow and/or skin and may also involve lymph nodes and viscera."
Stemline Therapeutics is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company headquartered in New York that develops and markets oncology therapeutics. The firm stated that its "ELZONRIS® (tagraxofusp) is a targeted therapy directed to CD123 and is FDA-approved and commercially available in the U.S. for the treatment of adult and pediatric patients, two years and older, with BPDCN." Stemline noted that ELZONRIS is also being currently being evaluated in clinical studies for other indications including chronic myelomonocytic leukemia, myelofibrosis and acute myeloid leukemia.
The Menarini Group is an international pharmaceutical company based in Italy which operates and sells its products in more than 100 countries. The company stated that it has $4.2 billion in sales annually. The company's medicines address many areas of illnesses including cardiovascular, gastroenterology, metabolic, infectious diseases and anti-inflammatory/analgesic therapeutic areas and oncology.
Stemline Therapeutics began the day with a market capitalization of around $249.2 million with approximately 54.27 million shares outstanding and a short interest of about 11.3%. STML shares opened nearly 150% higher today at $11.81 (+$7.06, +148.63%) over Friday's closing price of $4.75. The stock has traded today between $1.81 and $12.35 per share and is currently trading at $12.10 (+$7.35, +154.74%).[NLINSERT]
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.