Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. (REGN:NASDAQ) today announced "the latest progress in its efforts to discover and develop a novel multi-antibody cocktail that can be administered as prophylaxis before exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus or as treatment for those already infected."
The company reported that its scientists have isolated hundreds of virus-neutralizing, fully human antibodies from the firms genetically-modified VelocImmune® mice which have immune systems similar to humans. In addition, the firm advised that it has isolated antibodies from humans who have recovered from COVID-19 to aid in maximizing the pool of potential antibodies. The company indicated that it will select the top two candidate antibodies for a cocktail-like treatment based on potency and binding properties to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein as well as other specified characteristics.
The firm indicated that it will employ its VelociMab® technology to prepare manufacturing-ready cell lines as soon as lead antibodies are identified in order to rapidly ramp up clinical-scale production. The company expects that it will be able to manufacture hundreds of thousands of prophylactic doses per month by the end of summer.
The company's Co-founder, President and Chief Scientific Officer George D. Yancopoulos, M.D., Ph.D., commented, "Our three decades of investment in our VelociSuite antibody technologies, which accelerate and improve the traditional drug discovery process, have hopefully prepared us for this critical time and to meet this important challenge...Given the tremendous interest and concern around the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be providing regular and transparent updates on our discovery and development programs."
The company noted that "all coronaviruses have a single glycoprotein on the virus surface called the spike protein, which is the protein on the virus cell surface that binds to the host cell and is required for infectivity and its SARS-CoV-2 antibodies will target the spike protein in order to block its interaction with the host cell, and thus neutralize the virus."
Christos Kyratsous, Ph.D., vice president of research, infectious diseases and viral vector technologies at Regeneron, added, "I'm so proud to be part of this cross-company team, which delivered a novel and effective fully human antibody treatment for Ebola in record time and is making every effort to once again rise to this unprecedented challenge."
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals describes itself as a leading biotechnology company that invents life-transforming medicines for people with serious diseases. The company has seven FDA-approved homegrown treatments and numerous product candidates in development. The firm states that its medicines and pipeline are designed to help patients with eye disease, allergic and inflammatory diseases, cancer, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, infectious diseases, pain and rare diseases.
Regeneron has a market capitalization of around $48.5 billion with approximately 110 million shares outstanding. REGN shares opened higher today at $452.51 (+$11.68, +2.65%) over yesterday's $440.83 closing price and reached a new 52-week high price this morning of $512.98. The stock has traded today between $473.00 and $512.98 per share and is currently trading at $491.32 (+$50.49, +11.45%).[NLINSERT]
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: None. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.