A Nov. 9 Wedbush research report indicated that Sierra Oncology Inc. (SRRA:NASDAQ) is expected to release initial clinical data from two Phase 1 studies of lead candidate SRA737, "a highly selective checkpoint kinase 1 inhibitor." in Q1/18. "We think an update on SRA737's safety profile will be meaningful, as well as on dosing strategies in the combination study," reported analyst Driscoll. Interim data from those trials are anticipated in mid-2018.
Today, with those initial results due in the short term, Sierra Oncology's shares are "deeply undervalued," Driscoll noted. "We are raising our price target to $5 (from $4) to reflect our increased confidence in likely strong interim data in 2018 that could point to an accelerated path to approval." The company is currently trading at around $2.02 per share.
In a recent gathering, key opinion leaders from Sierra Oncology's recently formed DNA Damage Response Advisory Committee discussed the biopharmaceutical firm's SRA737. They "highlighted the broad clinical potential" of the checkpoint inhibitor "across multiple tumor types as monotherapy and in combination with multiple potential agents," such as immuno-oncology therapeutics, PARP inhibitors and chemotherapies, wrote Driscoll. The company's therapeutics "target DNA-damage response pathways in cancer patients."
Because of the "strong clinical rationale for multiple therapeutic strategies" for SRA737 and it being further advanced, Sierra Oncology has chosen to focus on clarifying the development plan for that asset and defer submitting an investigational new drug application for its CDC7 inhibitor, SRA141, Driscoll said.
The research report also contained a brief summary of the company's Q3/17 financials. Sierra Oncology posted a net loss of $10M ($0.19 per share), "above our estimate of ($0.21) on lower-than-expected operating expenses," indicated Driscoll. At quarter's end, it had $107.8M in cash and cash equivalents, which it "believes to be sufficient to fund ongoing operations through mid-2019."
Wedbush has an Outperform rating on Sierra Oncology.
Want to read more Life Sciences Report articles like this? Sign up for our free e-newsletter, and you'll learn when new articles have been published. To see recent articles and interviews with industry analysts and commentators, visit our Streetwise Interviews page.
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following company mentioned in this article is a sponsor of Streetwise Reports: None. Streetwise Reports does not accept stock in exchange for its services. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article, until one week after the publication of the interview or article.
Disclosures from Wedbush Securities, Sierra Oncology Inc., Company Report, Nov. 9, 2017
We, Robert Driscoll and David Nierengarten, certify that the views expressed in this report accurately reflect our personal opinions
and that we have not and will not, directly or indirectly, receive compensation or other payments in connection with our specific
recommendations or views contained in this report.
The analysts responsible for preparing research reports do not receive compensation based on specific investment banking activity.
The analysts receive compensation that is based upon various factors including WS' total revenues, a portion of which are generated
by WS' investment banking activities.
Company Specific Disclosures
1. WS makes a market in the securities of Sierra Oncology, Inc.
3. WS co-managed a public offering of securities for Sierra Oncology, Inc. within the last 12 months.
4. WS has received compensation for investment banking services from Sierra Oncology, Inc. within the last 12 months.
5. WS provided Sierra Oncology, Inc. with investment banking services within the last 12 months.